G.P. Maggini (1580 – 1630) worked in Botticino (Brescia), Italy and was a pupil of the most important violin maker of the Brescian school, Gasparo da Salò. Favored by violinists who enjoy a wood smoke sound in the high register of the G string. In the romantic era of the early twentieth century, Maggini violins were in fact considered superior to Stradivari.
Association des Maitres Luthiers Suisses, St. Gallen, January 15, 1970
Herman Glassl, Munich, January 27, 1932
Available at TONG MING XI COMMONWEALTH WORKSHOP